Create a New Smart Student Group
Navigate to the Student Groups widget and choose the Filter & Create tab to start defining the criteria for your Smart Student group.
If it is your first time in this widget, please review the three steps necessary to create a Smart group. You can hide these instruction by selecting the Hide Intro button in the lower right.
1. Add Filter Group(s) and Apply Filters
Begin by selecting the Add Filter Group button. Then select a filter group. See the Available Filter Groups section below for information about each filter group.
Filter Group Navigation
Each Filter Group can be turned on or off. If turned off, then the filters are not applied. To remove a filter group, or turn it off, click the delete button .
Navigate between filter groups by scrolling left-to-right, or by clicking the group names in the header area.
2. Preview the Students
Any time a filter is updated, a count of the current number of students matching the filters is updated. Select the Smart Group Preview button to view the students in the group. If you add another filter and select additional options, the Preview will return a count of students with all of the attributes.
3. Save the Smart Student Group
Once you have defined the parameters of your group, you can save those filters to create the Smart Group. As students' attributes change, then the list of students in your smart group will also change. For example, if you used the Enrollments Filter Group to make a smart group of third grade students, in the next school year, the students in that smart group would change as new third grade students took their place.
To save the Smart Group, select the Save Student Group button. Enter a meaningful group name, and select Save.
If instead, you would like to save the group as a Static Student Group (meaning the list of students in the group will never change), set the Save as Smart Group toggle to No.
The Smart Group will now be available under the My Student Groups tab, and is identified with a cog for a dynamically changing group.
Available Filter Groups
- School Year (choose one)
- Schools (choose multiple)
- Activities (choose multiple)
- Assessments (chose multiple)
- Performance Level (pick one option for each assessment)
BehaviorsThe Behaviors filter has many options for defining your Smart Student Group. The more options you select the smaller your student group will become, therefore, we recommend you do not try and filter by all the options available in this filter group.
- Absences (select a date range or a set period)
- Discipline (select a date range or a set period)
- Incident Statuses (Offense or Referral)
- Participant Roles (Involved Student)
- Incident Types (these come directly from your student information system)
- Incident Codes (these come directly from your student information system)
- Incident Consequence Types (these come directly from your student information system)
- Incident Consequence Codes (these come directly from your student information system)
- Gender (choose one)
- Ethnicity (can choose multiple)
- Native Language (can choose multiple)
- Home Language (can choose multiple)
We suggest you always begin your Smart Group filtering with the Enrollment filter group.
- School Year (choose one)
- Include Withdrawn Students (Yes or No) [This option is only available for the current school year.]
- Enrolled in District as of (Month, Day)
- Schools (can choose multiple)
- Grade Levels (can choose multiple)
- Content Areas (can choose multiple)
- Classes (can search by teacher name)
Grades & Credits
- Current Cumulative GPA (range, accepts decimals)
- Credits Earned (range, accepts decimals, allows for less/greater than values)
- Term Grades (select from drop downs, chose Credit Earning Grades, Reporting Grades, or both)
- Gradebook Grades (select from drop downs, can choose current grades, can search by Term [S1, Q2, T3, etc.] or Name [Semester, Quarter, Trimester]); Restrict to Classes Currently Meeting are classes in which the student is currently enrolled.
- On a Student Learning Plan (Currently On or Off)
- Interventions (these come directly from your student information system)
The Requirements filter applies to the middle and high grades (7-12) only. This filter allows for the conditions, "and" and "or". If you want to see students who have met one OR more of the options, set the Match toggle to Any. If you want to see students who have met one condition AND another, set the Match toggle to All. Set any option to N/A to remove it from the filter.
- Credit Deficiency (Yes, No, N/A)
- Reading (Met, Not Met, N/A)
- Writing (Met, Not Met, N/A)
- Math (Met, Not Met, N/A)
- Science (Met, Not Met, N/A)
- EOC Math Yr1 (Met, Not Met, N/A)
- EOC Math Yr2 (Met, Not Met, N/A)
Risk (Temporarily removed, V2 Risk Viewer selections to come later - HOMEROOM-2316)
The Risks listed in this filter are determined by your district. You can add as many Risks as are available. Your choices for each option are At Risk, Not At Risk, or N/A. You can delete any Risk you have chosen by selecting the delete button . This filter allows for the conditions, "and" and "or". If you want to see students who are At Risk in one OR more of the options, set the Match toggle to Any. If you want to see students who are At Risk in one condition AND another, set the Match toggle to All.
The Referrals filter uses SWIS data that is migrated* into Homeroom and has many options for defining your Smart Student Group.
- In the Last - provides options for a timeframe window (1 day, 3 weeks, 2 months)
- Between - provides options to set a date range
*Email firstname.lastname@example.org if your district uses SWIS and is interested in migrating SWIS data into Homeroom nightly.
The Services listed in this filter are determined by your district and come directly from your student information system. You can add as many Services as are available. There are several options available in the drop down. Use the Was On Between option to set a date range for a filter or to look for historical services.
- Student Name (search for a name or any portion of a name)
- Last Name (search by a letter or any portion of a name)
[Updated: 2/10/17, dmr]